The normative reference figure of University Ombudsman is in the Universities Act 6/2001 of 21 December, the Andalusian University Law 15/2003 of December 22 as amended by Legislative Decree 1/2013 of 8 January, the revised text of the LAU and the Statute of the University of Seville who stated in Chapter 3, Article 24 is approved.
The Organic Law of Universities 6/2001 of 21 December an additional provision contemplates an ombudsman University as follows:
- Article 46, Section H. Rights and responsibilities of students. The guarantee of their rights through appropriate procedures and, where appropriate, the performance of the University Ombudsman.
- Fourteenth additional provision. The University Ombudsman. To ensure respect for the rights and freedoms of teachers, students and administrative staff and services to the actions of the various bodies and non-university services, the universities established in the organizational structure of the University Ombudsman Fig. Their actions, aimed at improving university quality in all its areas, shall not be subject to any imperative mandate any university authority and come under the principles of independence and autonomy. It shall be the Articles set out the procedure for election or appointment, term of office and dedication, as well as its operation.
Andalusian University Law 15/2003 of December 22 as amended by Legislative Decree 1/2013 of 8 January, the revised text of the LAU is approved.
- Chapter III. Institutions participated by the universities. Sixth Additional Provision. University Ombudsman. In order to ensure respect for the rights and freedoms of teachers, students and administrative staff and services to the different actions of the various university bodies and services, the Andalusian universities established in the organizational structure of the University Ombudsman figure . Their activities are governed by the principles of independence and functional autonomy. The statutes establish the procedure for election, term of office and dedication, as well as its operation.
The Statute of the University of Seville collects the Defender Degree in Chapter 3, Article 24.
1. The University Ombudsman is the body responsible for ensuring respect for the rights and freedoms of all members of the university community in the field of the University of Seville. It is not subjected to any imperative mandate and performs its functions with complete independence.
2. The University Ombudsman is elected by an absolute majority of the University Council, on the proposal of the Bureau, including members of the university community. His office shall be five years and may not be removed or re-elected.
3. The status of University Ombudsman is incompatible with holding any office of government or representing the University.
4. The powers of the University Ombudsman:
- a) seek from the various university bodies as much information as it deems appropriate to fulfill its purposes.
- b) Attend meetings of the colleges of the University who wish to them when it comes to matters related to the activities that take place in that time.
- c) Prepare any reports may be requested or deemed appropriate in relation to issue proceeding.
- d) Develop proposals for action it deems appropriate to resolve the cases that are brought to its attention.
- e) Any other that gives this Statute and the General Regulations of the University Ombudsman.
5. The University Ombudsman record and acknowledge receipt of complaints brought that processed or rejected. In the latter case it will in reasoned letter may inform the person about the most appropriate to exercise its action, if in his opinion there was any way, and notwithstanding that he can use it considers most relevant.
The University Ombudsman will not enter the individual examination of those complaints that are pending judicial or administrative decision and suspended if initiated its action, it interpusiere by interested claim or remedy in administrative proceedings or in the ordinary courts or the Court Constitutional. This does not preclude, however, the research on general issues raised in the complaints. In any case it will ensure that the college administration explicitly resolved in a timely manner, requests and resources that would have been made.
Admitting the complaint, the University Ombudsman promote timely summary and informal research to clarify the assumptions of the same. In any case it will report the substance of the request from the administrative body to which the owner, within a maximum period of thirty days written report is sent. Such period shall be extended when circumstances warrant it in the opinion of the University Ombudsman.
6. The University Ombudsman shall submit to the University Senate an annual report of its activities which may make recommendations and suggestions for improving the university services.
7. To fulfill its functions, the University of Seville University Ombudsman will provide the budget allocation, adequate infrastructure and staff.
University Ombudsman General regulations approved by the University Senate at its meeting on November 22, 2004.